With a new year, comes a brand new opportunity for growth within ourselves and change in our lives. Is there anything you’re set to do more/less of, change a circumstance, quit a bad habit, or start a new one as your resolution? Try getting your kids involved and have them dream up their own resolutions for this next year. This is a great way to teach goals and self-discipline as they work toward them.
This year I really want to:
I really need to:
I want to be better at:
I want to learn how to:
I want to try:
Another way to grow in the year 2020 is to create a prayer board. Every day of the week you will pray specifically for someone or something. Imagine your kids becoming prayer warriors and what that can do for their faith, self-worth, love for others and overall joy.
If you’re planning to celebrate with your kids, here are a few fun ideas for the party:
- Create a photo booth with props
- Make noise-maker crafts. Paint popsicle sticks and glue craft bells to them; or tape two cups together with a few beads to bounce around inside.
- Cut open a kitchen garbage bag and string/tape it to the walls and ceiling. Fill it with balloons and confetti. Pull it down at “midnight” and celebrate with noise-makers and music.
- Play games. Glow-in-the-dark necklace or bracelet bottle-toss, NYE Bingo, and checkers are a few of our favorites.
- Make festive Hors d’oeuvres together.
- Cheers champagne flutes filled with plain or bubbly juice.
- Invite your friends over and celebrate!
Midnight is late to stay awake most days of the week. If you or your kids can’t stay up to watch the ball drop, have a “Noon” Year’s Eve party! Netflix has 10 short New Year’s Eve countdown shows for children that can be played by parents at any hour. If you don’t have Netflix, you can try it for free for 30 days. Otherwise, YouTube has many options to choose from as well. This one plays a countdown with celebration fireworks.
Have fun reminiscing about your year in review! Talk about the best times of your family vacation, a favorite place you went to, the funniest moment of the year, the best food you ate, and all of the other fun memories you shared together.
Have a happy and blessed New Year!